Saturday, February 28, 2009

My New Found American Friends/My one and only article to date :-)

This blog was inspired by a new American friend of mine that I met on Face Book who commented on my people skills. I've been thinking about that a lot and considering what it is I am doing that people are responding to. I thought perhaps I would share some ideas here and maybe get some feedback.

I am of the opinion that "if we are not moving forward we are standing still". This whole social networking thing is definitely a learning curve.

I want to make the following points about people skills.

1)Empathy

I think it is very important that we have empathy with our fellow human beings.I know myself I have so many failures on my conscience to overcome. The people I love have an enormous amount of grace for me. Therefore I am able to share that grace with the people around me. We are all on a certain path in this life and making mistakes is part of finding our way.


2)Practice being grateful

Appreciation is another quality that I have acquired over the years. I wasn't always this way. I have lost some important relationships throughout my life that I may have took for granted. As the song goes "you don't know what you have until it's gone". The older I get the more I see it is important to cultivate and nurture relationships.


3)Everyone is unique

What kind of a boring world would this be if we were all the same? My husband and I are completely the opposite in our personalities. This can make for a good fight at times. Truthfully I wouldn't love him if he was like me and vice versa. It is great to meet people so different from me on Face Book.


4)Try to be personable

I try to think about and remember who I am talking to. It is always good to have people's profiles open when you are talking to them. For me it helps to say their name in conversation with them. It has been said "a person's name is to that person the sweetest and most important sound in any language"


5) Listening not talking

I think it is essential to show a genuine interest in people. We can do this by listening. I try to encourage people to talk about themselves. Which most of us like to do. It is not a time for me but a time for them. Be a listener and you are in demand.

6) Positive attitude

How much are we bombarded with negativity everyday? It is hard to watch the news. We think it has no effect on us but it does. With all that is going on in America having a positive outlook and faith for things to work out paints one in a light people will be attracted too.


People are important and were created by God. We have a divine purpose and calling.

As a Canadian perhaps I am not experiencing the trials that Americans are going through. But I do care and want to help any way I can.

God Bless.

6 comments:

  1. Great post and Great advice ! Many in our industry need a good dose of empathy and to remember people are PEOPLE - NOT $$$ signs !
    Dan L

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Adrienne...all very valid and excellent points for everyone online...if only more people would take heed to each one...

    Great job with your blog...keep up the good work..let Lance know I said hello...


    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great info Ady!! What makes this even more powerful to me, is that I have had the good fortune of knowng you and watching you apply these lessons that you are sharing with us all here on a regular basis. It is refreshing in this day and age, to see someone actually walk the walk of what it is they talk.
    Keep up the great work. I can't wait for your next post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well put Ady. Building relationships along with a Positive additude are vital staples indeed.

    Thanks for the comedy releive today. Your posted videos with Brian Regan are very funny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. People are important and were created by God. We have a divine purpose and calling.
    I like that, what's your calling ?
    Andy from Bolton, UK

    ReplyDelete